Sunday, January 01, 2017

GIVING BACK || THREE LESSONS I LEARNED FROM VOLUNTEERING


GIVING BACK



"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart". Elizabeth Andrew (Click to Tweet)

Few hours to 2017 and I'm literally glued to my PC trying to edit this post.  I didn't want the year to end before putting up this post and also I wanted to start a fresh year by sharing some resonating lessons from my experience as a volunteer at the Charity 2016 event organised by The Executives Initiatives which held on 26 December 2016. 

I shared a few of my major highlights from 2016 in my previous post. While writing that post I realised that I had a lot to be super thankful for in 2016. The year may not have started on a perfect note but it sure ended on one and I believe that 2017 would be even better.

Can I get an affirmative amen? Amen!!!

I made the decision to volunteer for the Charity 2016 event when I came across several posts on my Instagram timeline and explore feed.

The charity 2016, a project birthed from the need to share the spirit of Christmas with the less privileged. It is a product of the Executives Initiatives which is an NGO founded in 2011 by a group of young adults who felt the need to make an impact in the society. Their major objective is to promote the spirit of compassion through the act of giving. The project has been on for about three years.

I knew had to be a part of this project.

So a few days ago, I read somewhere online that volunteering is an experience that stays with you forever. True or False?    

This wasn't my first time of volunteering, I had volunteered with another NGO sometime back in February and we also visited Makoko to celebrate Valentine with the people of that community.

Makoko is a slum neighbourhood located in Lagos state. You can google more details about it.
My first visit in February was a bit terrifying. Scratch that, it was one of those scarring moments in one's life but also an eye-opening experience. One that I was uncertain that I didn't want to relive. I was really grateful I got a chance to partake in.


That visit helped me put a lot of things in my life in perspective and I was able to see the things that truly matter in life. On realising all these, I knew that I wanted to make an impact but I did not know how or when?

So when the opportunity to volunteer came in October, I immediately jumped at it.

It was my first time volunteering with this NGO and it was an entirely different experience from the one in February.


As volunteers, we had different responsibilities attached to each role.
From sourcing for donations, getting Sponsorship, the sale of tickets, creating awareness (Media & Publicity)  and loads more.

We all had a common goal which was to ensure that the people at Makoko celebrated Christmas and we wanted to put smiles on as many faces as possible. 

Their happiness became our priority and looking back to the 26th I'm proud that we were able to achieve that and more.

The Charity 2016 was a success, there were major setbacks and the day started out a bit rough but with the right motivation we were able to pull through. A lot of disagreements and quarrels. All in all, it was a successful event.


Truly grateful to the team for having me on board. It was a lovely experience and also a big thank you to everyone that bought tickets, made donations and also showed up to support that day. Thanks for all your assistance and may almighty God bless you all immensely.





Lessons

You can make a difference.


As 2017 begins, you need to ask yourself these questions.
Who am I? How can I make a difference?

One of the many mistakes we make as individuals is to conclude that we are too little or simply waiting for our government to do everything for us. We need to change that ideology.


Volunteering taught me that it doesn't take much to be the sunshine in someone else's rainy day. Anyone can make a difference especially you. Yeah, you!!!


Gratitude.

Volunteering helps you appreciate things in your life more.  You get to see infinite reasons why you have to be grateful. Helping others is an affirmative reminder of all the things that really matter in your life like infinite mercies of God, family, friends, good health etc.
In the past, I may have complained that  I didn't like what I got for Christmas or I probably wasn't really looking forward to the holiday. However, all of that has changed for me because I realised that there are so many families who look forward to it and are excited to receive anything even if it just a plate of rice and chicken because they never get that on a regular day.
Another important thing is that it helps you think twice before complaining. Ditch your complaining habit in 2016.


Lend a helping hand.

Sharing love with the world is a beautiful thing, you seldom gain as much as you give. These little actions have a far-reaching impact on the lives of people and on the society in general.
By lending a helping hand you develop new skills, gain new insights about yourself and the world, you also discover new passions.



Have you ever been a volunteer? If yes!!
How was your experience as a volunteer?
Have you ever considered volunteering?

I had an awesome time volunteering in 2016 and I hope this lessons also resonates with you.
I look forward to an awesome 2017 and hopefully I get to render more of my services to the community.



Connect with me via


Thanks for all the support in 2016, taking out time from your busy schedule to visit my blog, leave comments and even share my blog posts. I'm truly grateful. Thanks for supporting and keep supporting.


Happy New Year!!!
Cheers to an awesome 2017!!!
28 comments on "GIVING BACK || THREE LESSONS I LEARNED FROM VOLUNTEERING"
  1. I've never volunteered before. Never had the chance to. I should probably be on the lookout for opportunities to. Love the bit about being enough to put sunshine in someone's rain. Happy New Year dear.
    Www.laitanbee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks dear.
      I'll let you know if I find one.
      I hope distance won't be a problem.
      Happy new year!!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year!!!!!! Wishing you awesome year. I also haven't volunteered before, I would love to though, because giving back is alot more important than taking! I really hope I get the opportunity to give this year and Gratitude is so key!! Because we sometimes take what we have for granted as though we deserve them, not knowing that it's all. By his Grace!!!
    quirksandoutfits.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it all dear.
      Thanks and happy new year. Wishing you an awesome year too.

      Delete
  3. Good Job Praise! God will definitely bless your efforts and give you reasons to smile. I've never gotten the opportunity to volunteer before. I hope to do that soon.

    Thestreethaute.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww! i loved reading this. I've volunteered before and this year I want to do so much more. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ps: I tried to tweet a quote above, but I'm not sure it worked. You should probably check them.

    Happy New Year!

    www.KacheeTee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kachi.
      Definitely looking forward to reading all about yours too.
      I just fixed the issue with the quotes. Thanks for the observation.

      Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  5. Hey boo I'm so proud of you and it's a great thing you are doing this to make people happy. I should involve myself and volunteer too this year. God bless you and all you did for the people at makoko

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to be a part of this in a way. I'm also glad you volunteered. Nice one girl www.Adagirl.com.ng

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great opportunity to be a blessing to another! Giving is an act we mostly overlook or underestimate, and I'm glad you prove otherwise. Great job hun. God bless you greatly.

    Happy New Year, darling!

    Funmi xx
    www.funmialabi.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling.
      Amen and God bless you too.

      Happy New Year 💕💕💕

      Delete
  8. There is something about giving back and volunteering. Last time I gave back was at Christmas when I volunteered to collect gifts for the Samaritan purse to give to kids in Africa. Ironically when we lived in Zambia I once received gifts from the Samaritan purse so I know the joy that a simple gift brings to kids so it was such a great feeling to give back. Looks like you have been really busy so good job.x

    www.stephylately.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph.
      Giving back is so gratifying and self fulfilling. The joy that comes with knowing that you are responsible for the smile on so many faces. Truly, the greatest feeling in the world.

      Happy New Year!!!
      Have a great 2017.

      Delete
  9. I do appreciate the spirit of volunteering especially at a time when things are not looking bright economically for Nigeria. It sure goes a long way. I have been unable to volunteer my time yet. But I don't hesitate to give the little I have . Kudos girl

    www.nazasdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naza!!

      Thanks dear. Feels good to know that many of us actually want to give back.

      Thanks for stopping by and happy new year dear.

      Delete
  10. its so amazing that you choose to volunteer, shows how big your heart is, I've never volunteered but i'm sure its something ill love to do soon

    https://funkeolotu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to volunteer, it's a good thing you're doing. You're right about the lessons though a little help can go a long way. Happy New Year! By the way I digs that outfit, looking good as always.

    17 Achievable Life Resolutions For 2017

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for reminding me of the importance of volunteering. It's always so fulfilling. I hope I get more opportunities to do that this year.
    www.writeitloud.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely.
      Thanks for reading.

      Happy New Year!!!

      Delete
  13. Weldone girl, may God and increase you for taking out time to help the needy. Volunteering gives you the opportunity to appreciate the life you have now better.

    p:s - your outfit is soooo sooo chic. love it

    www.tegaenai.com
    5 things to consider before starting a blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tega.
      A resounding amen to that prayer.
      Happy New Year!!

      Delete
  14. Well said! A little kind gesture goes a long way. Glad you gained experience, learned and shared with us.

    Bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion means a lot to me. Don't forget to share your thoughts with me by leaving your comment

Custom Post Signature