Sunday, December 25, 2016

STYLE|| AN UNCONVENTIONAL CHRISTMAS OUTFIT + 2016 HIGHLIGHTS




Merry Christmas Lovelies!!!

Funny how it doesn't  feel so Christmassy over here. How's the Christmas mood over there?
I've never been the type to really celebrate or go all out. I have always anticipated every Christmas but this year, somehow I wasn't looking forward to it this year, weird right? 

The first Christmas without the family in a long time. NYSC ripped me from my mother's bosom *lol*

So instead of worrying or dwelling in this Christmas funk  I've decided to indulge in one of my oldest Christmas traditions, watch my fave holiday movies (Home Alone) and probably wait for one of my friends to call me to come over to eat Christmas rice.

Got any holiday traditions, Pls share?

Christmas is the season to be thankful and I've a lot to be thankful for this season. I'll love to share a few of my highlights from 2016 with y'all.

I apologise in advance, this post might be very lengthy.




Graduation- One of the biggest highlights of 2016 for me was finally completing my four years B.Sc programme at the University of Lagos. I still remember how it all started and how I penned all of my academic expectations in my journal;
  • finish with a first class,
  • graduate at 19  and a long list of other expectations. 


I was so young and very naive, University life finally gave me my first taste of independence and looking back I feel like I did a great job of handling that responsibility. 

I didn't finish with a first class but I learnt that there is much more to life than just chasing a degree, never let a certificate define you. It was an awakening period for me, I also didn't graduate at 19, the ASUU strike and some other unforeseen circumstances kinda prevented that from happening. 

I'm really grateful to God for finally making it possible for me to complete my programme this year.


Starting a blog-  I must confess I didn't know jack shii about blogging, I mentioned here that my friends encouraged me to start a blog and with the little research, I did. I finally decided to set up a blog in April.

I started with a very messy blog design and worked on making it better. Those of you that checked out my blog from the very beginning can attest to that. Still working on making it better

This blog is my pet project. Although, I was so unsure of what I wanted and I knew I wasn't getting it right from the beginning. Now I've realised it's okay to make mistakes.

It has taught me a lot and has helped me to face most of my insecurities. I constantly battled with self-doubt and this has been a long struggle but somehow this blog has helped me to tackle and face my inner demon, Self-doubt.

Also, it has helped me to step out of my comfort zone, I've always been the super private type but blogging has helped me to loosen up and let people in. 

I'm thankful that my blog has evolved within the span of nine months, thankful for the friends I made and the lovely people I met in the course of my blogging journey. 

Most importantly for the lovely people who take out time to read each post and leave a comment and to others who extend the love on all social media platforms, I'm truly grateful.

P.S- You can also share my posts on all social media accounts. Click to share.


Going for service-  It's so ironic that I can't wait to be done with service right now. Like I'm literally counting down to the end of my service year. I really can't believe that it's already nine months down. 

I remember those months I spent at home lamenting and cursing our leaders for rendering me useless for months. One of the products of my idleness was finally starting up this blog.

The joy of being called to serve your country can never be overemphasised, we all know how trashed the programme has become but still, we look forward to being called to serve our country. 

However, that joy was short lived when I got to camp and even when I had to search for a PPA for a month. The numerous struggles we face as corp members, having to struggle for monthly clearance, weekly CDS, the ill treatment from some employers and more.

I'm nine months into my service year and the journey has not been so rosy, loads of bumpy rides but each day I'm thankful for the privilege to finally serve my country and this is an experience I won't trade for anything in the world.


Personal Growth-  2016  has been a great year for me, a lot of self-discovery and growth. Finally explored a few of my passions and also worked on myself, I had a lot of time to reflect and plan, still planning and reflecting.
Self-growth is definitely the biggest highlight of my year. Looking forward to progressive years.

What's your biggest highlight(s) of 2016? Do share!!!





Let's talk outfit....

Who else can relate to the struggle of finding an outfit to wear? Well, this is my life every day of the week and it doesn't exactly get better during the holidays.

This outfit was a last minute pick and since the holiday colours are green, red and gold. I felt really limited and I just had to make do with what I had in my wardrobe. I recently just realised that I don't own any red dresses, sad right? Someone pls gift me a pair.

I'll be sharing few tips to getting the right perfect last-minute holiday look.

  • Sequins/ Metallics- Christmas is the season to party. What better way to party than to make a statement while doing it right? I opted for a sequin dress to get that perfect last minute holiday look and I made a statement in that piece. I recommend same, you can decide to rock a metallic jumpsuit or a sequin dress and pair it with a box clutch and pumps.

  • Lace- Getting the killer party dress can be a bit of a struggle. Lace dresses are the top on my last minute holiday look. You can opt for a red lace dress with some strappy heels and just accessorise with some chunky bracelets.
  • Fringe/bold prints- Fringe outfits are so cheery and playful and best for the holidays. You can spice them up with the right accessories,  a clutch, playful earrings and sexy heels and you are ready to parr ta yy. Bold prints are also perfect, the best way to make a statement this holiday.
For guys, you can check out some holiday inspired outfits here.





What do you think of this outfit?
Would you rock it and how would you style it?


OUTFIT DETAILS
Dress- Asos
Shoes- Zara basic

Pictures taken by Entrick Photography

Connect with me via





22 comments on "STYLE|| AN UNCONVENTIONAL CHRISTMAS OUTFIT + 2016 HIGHLIGHTS"
  1. There's really more to life than chasing a degree, I love this outfit!

    http://Nappyhaired.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Christmas spirit is broken! I probably will just go to my uncle's place to chill and prepare for tests. I love the dress!


    Thestreethaute.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry love. I hope 2017 is better.
      All the best in your test and thanks.

      Delete
  3. Self-growth is also my biggest highlight of 2016. I didn't see it coming. Congrats on B.sc. It ain't easy. Nysc just sounds so stressful. Hope I enjoy it. I love your shoes!
    That third picture is such a killer! Merry Christmas boo.
    Www.laitanbee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love and Merry Christmas. Cheers to progressive years.
      Nysc is actually stressful but you will be fine.I'm sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Christmas wasnt really special but I loved it for some reason, mostly because it means the year has ended and I get to set goals to work on....I watched Home Alone too!!!!!! My Christnas tradition is eat, drink and sleep and enjoy ...lol.your blog looks amazing especially compared to the previous theme lol...am preparing mine for the new year, redesigning, editing things etc Merry Christmas!!!!
    quirksandoutfits.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear.
      Bigger and better goals in 2017 and all the best dear. Merry Christmas!!

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas! And that's such a cute outfit.
    Congrats on graduation and all the other achievements. Had no clue you only started blogging this year. Very best wishes for 2017!!

    www.KacheeTee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kachi.
      Merry Christmas and i say a very big Amen to that.

      Delete
  6. So many highlights for me this year. Finishing School, Interning at a firm and getting work experience before service called, Eventually going for service and keeping up with this blogging life. Nothing good comes easy we know but eventually everything will fall in place. Your blog growth is quite impressive an din time you'll look back and smile.

    On to the outfit. I love the whole shimmery aquamarine vibes its got going. I'll most likely wear it to dinner or something low key with friends.

    See You In 2017,

    WanShyGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear.
      So glad 2016 was a great year for us. Cheers to progressive years.

      Delete
  7. Starting a blog professionally this is and finishing can seem to be too on the list for me. Nice dress dear www.adagirl.com.ng

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can realTe in the term of stating a blog as I am a private person as well. And I can definitely say it has done exactly the same thing for me too. Merry Christmas 🎄 https://meilifisayo.wordpress.com/2016/12/23/504/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Funmi!
      Merry christmas and happy new year in advance.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on a great 2016, girl. It sounds like you had one. Really sorry that you didn't enjoy your service year like I did but it's almost over huh. Cute dress by the way, I love the shoes. Compliments of the season.
     Princess Audu 

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful !
    Kiss, Lucie
    https://www.luxetoutou.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep wondering how my own NYSC will be and pray they scrap it before then( I know I'm kidding myself lol). I love the sequins dress on you and it was the perfect one for the festive season. Have a wonderful 2017!

    Subomi|My Fashion Musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanka dear.
      My dear I'm praying for you in advance. I believe anything is possible.

      Happy New Year and have a great 2017.

      Delete

Your opinion means a lot to me. Don't forget to share your thoughts with me by leaving your comment

Custom Post Signature